At last, the Marlins sign Jorge Soler
By Joe Frisaro @ManOn2nd
JUPITER, Fla. — It took about a week for the Marlins to sign slugger Jorge Soler.
The three-year, $36 million deal became official on Tuesday, as the organization introduced the 30-year-old to the media at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
Adding Soler gives the Marlins another middle of the lineup threat, and a likely fan favorite.
Cuban-born, Soler and his family already have been making Miami home. On the field, he is playoff tested. We saw that as he hit three home runs and was named World Series MVP with the Atlanta Braves last fall.
With the Marlins, Soler will wear No. 12. He hit the ground running on Tuesday, taking batting practice with his new teammates. He even saw live pitching, facing prospect Edward Cabrera in a live BP session.
“I know this division a little bit more,” Soler said through an interpreter. “Playing in the World Series was a great experience. It is something that we want to do here, too.”
Soler’s presence lengthens the Marlins’ lineup.
“He’s a guy, for me, I’ve seen for a long time, in Chicago and then all of a sudden seeing him three or four years later in Kansas City and how much better he got,” Marlins manager Don Mattingly said. “And then last year in Atlanta, you got to see him up close and personal on more of a daily basis. That’s not nearly as much fun, but now he’s on our side so it’s a lot more fun. Looking forward to having him in the lineup.”
Landing Soler is a big move for the Marlins.
Quick history lesson. The Marlins actually began their courtship of Soler a decade ago. Then, 20, Soler was an international signing of the Chicago Cubs.
Before he cashed in then, the Marlins were making what they felt like was an aggressive push for the outfielder. They had approval from ownership on an initial offer of $5 million.
That ended up not being in the ballpark, as the Cubs won the bidding with a nine-year, $30 million offer.
The Marlins now look forward to having Soler as part of what they believe will be an improved lineup.
Worth noting: Second baseman Jazz Chisholm Jr. suffered a bruised right pinky after being clipped by a bad-hop grounder. Chisholm said he hopes to be back in two or three days. Jon Berti and Joey Wendle are second base options.